Welcome!

Welcome to my weblog!
The place where I will regularly post thoughts and comments on any aspect of music.
Join my World of Music - and feel free to comment!
(As you see, the blog is in DInglish - Dutch International English - but comments in Dutch, German, French, Spanish and Frisian are welcome.)

Curious who I might be?
Look me up at my personal page.
Want to be notified when a new blog entry appears? Leave your email-address at the 'Follow by Email'-option below. (Or find me on LinkedIn and Twitter - @EvertBBoele.)
And you might check my other blog, Evert Listens to Dylan, if you would be interested what listening to the complete recordings of Bob Dylan does with (or to, or for) me.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

On Coding an Interview

I am looking at a pile of interviews on my desk. The phase of conducting interviews is nearly over, I have to start analyzing them. After some postponing (a grant proposal had to be written, a book had to be read) I finally take a deep breath and start.
I take the first part of the first interview, which I transcribed in full. Line by line I read it and attach codes to lines, to alineas, and sometimes to single words – codes being words, concepts, short phrases that capture what is being said in the interview on a slightly more abstract level. The idea is that through coding and recoding, constant comparison of passages, writing memos on the process during the process, eventually a picture arises of a possible interpretation of the interviews - or of several possible interpretations. Codes get more and more abstract during the process, and eventually you end up with some sort of theoretical model.
But I am not there yet. After having worked through the first part of the first interview, I have a list of 170 codes. Way too much, but I should probably not bother so I start fiddling around with them – putting them in families (uses, functions, developments, narration traits…), subdividing the families, trying to make sense of the relationship between the families, trying to find out if I should not skip one of the families because it still is too much for a useful analysis, and asking myself where those families come from. Am I theoretically too prejudiced, do the families really come out of the interview or did I  put them in? I know “interviews don’t speak”, texts do not turn into theory by themselves, a researcher is needed. But I don’t want to end up with something I knew beforehand – if I would like to write up what I think I should have become a philosopher, an essayist, or a theorist; but I want to stick to empiry,  be surprised by it, tell a plausible story about it.
The 170 initial codes seem to be transferable into a set of about 40 slightly more general codes. Some of them are still empty but I know there are interviews which will fill those codes. Some of the families seem unbalanced still – the most important family (at least that’s what I think now), the one of functions, will probably shrink from 11 to something like 5 or 6 codes. But I don’t know how yet.
And then there is literature, and theory. I am dying to connect my codes to existing theory, to literature. I know for some of the codes and code families what to read, where to look; for others I am not sure yet. But I have decided to do a lot more analysing first, trying to keep the theory a bit out, for as far as that is possible. Interviews don’t speak, but if the theories shut up, occasionally you hear them whisper.
So tomorrow it’s back to coding. I don’t know where things come from, and I don’t know where I am heading. That makes me uncertain. But in writing this down, I recognize that that is something described in all the books, and that I have to take my time. Dust will settle gradually. The book will be written eventually. And after that – more coding…

No comments:

Post a Comment